Tapenades are a great store cupboard essential, spread on toast, stir into pasta, make into a salad dressing or spread on puff pastry and top with vegetables for a quick supper.
Green Olive and Almond Tapenade
- 150g green olives, pitted
- 100g blanched almonds
- 60g capers, drained & rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple or agave syrup
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Place the almonds on a baking tray and roast or dry fry in a frying pan until just golden, making sure they don’t burn.
- Place in a food processor and whizz until roughly ground, (not as smooth as ground almonds) put to one side.
- In the food processor, put the olives, capers, garlic and onion. Blend to chunky consistency.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Add the ground almonds to the olive mixture and mix well.
- The consistency should be easy to spread with little chunks of olive and caper remaining.
- Check for seasoning.