Dietary: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 small red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cooking apple, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 100ml red wine
- 50g brown sugar (you may need a little more)
- 4 bay leaves
- A small cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 cloves
- 6 black peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 150c/gas mark 2
- Cut a small square of muslin (or a clean piece of cotton) or you can buy special muslin bags.
Put the spices into the muslin and tie together with string.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish, cover with foil and place in the oven and cook for approx. 2 ½ hours-stirring often.
- Taste several times during cooking and adjust the seasoning, sugar and vinegar to taste.
Back to blog