Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria is known as the Maghreb, "the land where the sun sets", and its inhabitants are historically known as the 'Moors'. This course introduces you to traditional Moorish cooking, a cuisine rich in fragrant spices, fresh herbs, pulses and grains.
The course starts with an introduction to all the traditional Moorish ingredients and methods of cooking. Cooking traditions are passed down from generation to generation by women with no precise measurements, recipes are not written down, but learnt by feeling and watching. Each family will have a different version of the same dish. Food from the Maghreb is known for its sweet fragrant spices, handfuls of fresh herbs, fava beans and couscous, nuts, dates and desserts dripping with local honey.
We will cook temping Moorish dishes such as:
- Algerian breakfast bread - a sweetened semolina dough enriched with eggs & olive oil
- Harrira- a spicy warming lentil soup - more like a stew
- Squash or Broad bean Bissara - a traditional dip flavoured with toasted cumin
- Fatima's fingers - filled with spinach, feta and spiced up
- Harissa- a very hot chilli condiment
- Tunisian Tajine - seasonal vegetables spiced up with harissa
- Chak-Chouka - Algerian ratatouille topped with an egg and baked in the oven
- Orange and Almond cake with seasonal fruit
For each course we choose the recipes that fit the season, depending on time of year, the availability and seasonality of produce.
The day will be a mixture of hands on and demonstration working in groups. We will taste and talk throughout the day and finish with a shared three course meal which we will have made together which will be accompanied by organic wines or juices. You will receive a recipe pack full of tips and ideas at the end of the day.
Time: 10:00am - 4:30pm
I have really enjoyed it. It was a lovely day and Rachel runs a great business. She clearly knows how to turn a cookery class into an excellent experience for participants.
I would recommend the Cookery School to anyone. Rachel's attention to detail is impeccable.
The layout of the day was perfect. I felt like I learned loads ... really enjoyable and fun.
I enjoyed the simplicity and flavours. The change to use spices I am unfamiliar with. Impressed by the ease.