The idea of running a short sourdough baking workshop may seem totally crazy. Consider this a deconstructed baking session where you will learn all the steps required for preparing and baking a sourdough loaf, but not necessarily in the right order.
Ottavia is an expert baker and has a passion for making sourdough.
Thanks to a simple structure already tested to suit busy home bakers you can familiarise with all the practical and theoretical aspects of using a natural leaven to bake at home the most delicious and healthy loaves, but most of all you will realise how simple sourdough baking can be, even without professional ovens or equipment.
Three hours is all it takes to mix, fold and shape a sourdough loaf, ready for an overnight proving, during which the baker can take a well deserved rest. The sourdough buildup to prepare the dough has equally been left to ferment overnight, without much input from the baker. Consider this a deconstructed baking session where you will see all the steps required for preparing and baking a sourdough loaf, but not necessarily in the right order.
* prepare a sourdough buildup,
* mix leaven, water, flour and salt to make a dough and fold it during bulk fermentation
* divide the dough, pre-shape and shape the loaf and place it into a proving basket
* bake two loaves that have been prepared in advance
* work in pairs (it is more fun)
* learn how to change the recipe to vary the bread you bake
* learn how to time kneading, proving and baking around a busy day
* We will make dips and salad to eat with the bread
You will take home a detailed recipe and your loaf in its proving basket ready to bake and a jar of sourdough starter for your next loaf.
This evening course includes your own wicker proving basket.
Just to say how much I enjoyed the Sourdough Class last night. Ottavia is such an inspiring and enthusiastic teacher, I learnt so much.
Great, inspiring and made everything seem easy!
The bread was delicious and I'm really looking forward to baking my own loaf tomorrow.