Homemade spice blends, world recipes, obscure spices and a bit of fascinating history feature on this exciting course that’s all about learning how to cook with spices from around the world.
The vibrant history of the spice route has shaped the world and the way we cook today. We’ve always been fascinated by spices, so we’ve created this course to explore the history and use of spices through a day of demonstration and hands-on cookery.
- We’ll create our own Middle Eastern, Indian and Chinese spice blends so you no longer have to buy from the store.
- We’ll show you how to get the best from your spices, including how to prepare, store and cook them and ideas for how to spice up your cooking.
You’ll learn to make a variety of dishes including
- Squash Fataya with Za’atar Roasted Seasonal Vegetables
- Tandoori Paneer Kebabs
- Fragrant Indian Aubergine cooked with Cardamom and Cinnamon
- Quick spiced Nann Bread with Chutney
- Spiced Pepper Rice
- Chinese Five Spice Tofu
- Sticky Toffee Pudding to finish
This course is perfect if you want to feel confident about knowing your cumin from your cardamom and want to use whole spices rather than shop bought spice blends. There will also be lots of opportunities for tasting throughout the day.
We will snack at midday and then at the end of the day, we’ll share a meal of all that we have cooked served with organic wines and fruit juices.
You will leave the class with a recipe pack including a brief history and glossary of all the spices used during the day.
The food was a real surprise. I have never had paneer or tofu and wasn't sure. But now, wow - I could not have been more surprised and delighted at how nice the end result was.
I thoroughly enjoyed it all. The tutors were great - they were friendly and very knowledgable
The spices when baked and ground are wonderful. The smell really hits you.